What is it and is it harmful?

Formaldehyde is naturally occuring and man-made.  It is a gas or chemical used in many products.  It can be harmful and/or fatal depending on its levels.  It is typically found in pressed woods, cleaners/disinfectants, permanent-press fabrics, nail polish and hair care products, cigarette smoke, in morturaries as a preservative and many other products. 

 Other names of formaldehyde include: Quaternium-15; 2-bromo-2nitropropane-1,3-diol; imidazolidinyl urea; diazolidinyl urea; formalin; methanal; methyl aldehyde; methylene oxide; morbicid acid and oxymethyline.  It is a known human carcinogen.  In small doses it is not harmful, but with several products in the same area, like your home, it can be very harmful.  It can cause cancer and leukemia if a person is subjected to continual exposure.  Everyone reacts to different levels of formaldehyde, check out OSHA's website for further details regarding toxicity levels.


Be safe - know what's in your environment.  If you would like other health topics reviewed, please contact me at BeWell@integra.net


This post is contributed by a community member. The views expressed in this blog are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Patch Media Corporation. Everyone is welcome to submit a post to Patch. If you'd like to post a blog, go here to get started.

Terrance Brandon November 30, 2012 at 03:30 PM
I have partnerned with a company that specializes in Formaldehyde-free products. Contact me at tbrandon1@gmail.com with Subject "Formaldehyde-free products" if you'd like to learn more.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something