SMSC Mobile Unit Serves Scott County, Other Minnesota Communities
Health screenings and dental, prevention, and treatment services among variety of services provided.The next location of the SMSC Mobile Unit is the Savage Public Library.
The Shakopee Mdewakanton Sioux Community Mobile Unit travels to locations throughout Scott County, northern Minnesota, and the Twin Cities to provide health and other services.
(The following is a release from the Shakopee Mdewakanton Sioux Community.)
This fall the Shakopee Mdewakanton Sioux Community Mobile Unit will be kept busy providing a variety of services to Minnesota residents. In addition to the ongoing collaboration with the Scott County Public Health Department, the Mobile Unit will travel to northern Minnesota tribal communities and provide services in the Twin Cities as well.
The SMSC announces the upcoming schedule for its Mobile Unit, a combined project of the Shakopee Mdewakanton Sioux Community’s Health Department and Mdewakanton Emergency Services.
The SMSC Mobile Unit provides health screening, mammograms, prevention and education, and treatment services as a mobile medical clinic. The dual purpose vehicle can also be used as a mobile incident command center to handle emergency situations like search and rescue, lost children, Incident command support, and medical support for events.
Last year 1,057 mammograms were performed aboard the SMSC Mobile Unit. A total of 3,550 mammograms were performed aboard the Mobile Unit since operations began in 2007 through the end of 2011. In addition, 119 well child/lead health screenings, dental services for 537 patients, 240 vision exams, and diabetes management clinics for 107 patients have been held.
The Mobile Unit also provides services to SMSC Community members, Native Americans who live in Scott County, and employees during monthly health screening events.
Below is the Fall/Early Winter 2012 Mobile Unit Schedule (subject to change):
Scott County Public Health Deployments:
- September 20: Savage Public Library
- October 4: Shakopee Russian Church
- October 18: Jordan Fair Grounds
- November 1: Savage Public Library
- November 15: Shakopee Russian Church
- December 6: Jordan Fair Grounds
- December 20: Savage Public Library
- September 24-28: Grand Portage, Dental, Vision, Diabetes
- October 10-12: Lake Mille Lacs, Mammography
- October 17: Indian Health Board, Minneapolis, Mammography
- October 30: Native American Community Clinic, Minneapolis, Mammography
- September 29-30: Firefighters Memorial, Saint Paul
- October 7: Twin Cities Marathon, Saint Paul (tentative)
- October 24: Fremont Clinic, Minneapolis, Mammography
- October 26: United Family Medical, Saint Paul, Mammography
- October 27: Monster Dash Marathon, Saint Paul
- October 28: American Diabetes Association Metro Walk, Golden Valley
Anyone wishing to schedule an appointment for a mammogram or dental visit can contact the deployment site or tribal health clinic directly.
To schedule a visit from the Mobile Unit for health services, call Mobile Unit Coordinator Christine Michael at 952-233-2964. To schedule incident command use of the Mobile Unit, go to http://www.mdfire.org/smsc-mobile-event-request-form.