Mr. Pig Stuff's Business Going Hog Wild
The popular barbecue joint is moving to a larger location with indoor seating and expanded hours.
The McCormick family, who bought the small building on First Avenue West and opened Mr. Pig Stuff in 2010, has a problem.
Fortunately, it's a good problem to have. Their barbecue take out and catering business across from Rahr Malting is booming so much that they've outgrown the drive thru-only building.
"Our catering business is overwhelming," said Chris McCormick Thursday. "We're doing great."
The family plans to move the business to bigger digs in the next month and has leased the building next to Dangerfield's Restaurant on First Avenue. The building most recently housed a restaurant called Deluxe Buffet.
The larger space means Mr. Pig Stuff's fans will enjoy indoor seating for the first time and expanded hours of operation. Until the move, hours will remain 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the current location. In the new building, hours will be extended to 9 p.m.
With some minor changes to the inside decor, the McCormicks are shooting for an Aug. 15 opening date. The current location will remain open until the move and McCormick said the operation should only be closed a few days while the move takes place.
The family had been looking for space to expand at least since the beginning of the year, when Nate McCormick told Patch he never expected the business to grow so fast.
The restaurant is known for its homemade pulled pork sandwiches, brisket and barbecued turkey, among other items.